Please note the following changes regarding MPI Salvage Operations processes and upcoming sales:
To offer a more transparent and accessible auction process from start to finish, Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI) is working with Impact Auto Auctions (Impact) to allow customers to view, bid, purchase and pay for MPI Salvage Items online starting later this month.
Live online auctions hosted by Impact with MPI Salvage Items will begin on Wednesday, September 30, 2020 and continue to be held weekly every Wednesday.
With the move to a more accessible online format, MPI will no longer hold in-person salvage auctions.
As we move to align with the majority of other salvage sellers in Canada, this shift to online-only auctions will make MPI's processes more cost-effective, and in turn, contribute to overall lower insurance rates for all Manitobans.
Through this new easy-to-navigate system, buyers can expect a more comprehensive package for each salvage item before they even place a bid - more photos, including a 360° view of the exterior and interior of most vehicles, current odometer readings and more!
This new open bidding model will also allow customers to make more informed buying decisions by following along in real-time during auctions as well as using the pre-bid and maximum bid features.
What does this mean for you?
Through this new easy-to-navigate online system, you can expect a more comprehensive package for each MPI Salvage Item before you even place a bid - more photos, including a 360° view of the exterior and interior of most vehicles, current odometer readings and more!
Working with Impact will allow MPI to provide a completely online-only bidding and buying platform which will modernize our processes and improve the buying experience for you, our customer. This means you will have the convenience of completing the entire process from the comfort of your home, office and anywhere in between on your mobile device.
This new open bidding model will also allow you to make more informed buying decisions by following along in real-time during auctions as well as using the pre-bid and maximum bid features.
As of September 30, in order to continue to bid and purchase MPI Salvage Items, you will need to register with Impact. Only once you are registered with Impact will you be able to place bids.
For a sneak peek of how to view MPI Salvage Items and the new bidding process, check out this video from Impact!
What you need to know about our new weekly auction process, starting Sept. 30:
- Bids for our last SMS auction must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 23. It will close on Friday, Sept. 25.
- Our first auction with Impact will take place on Wednesday, Sept. 30 at 10 a.m. CST. New salvage items have been posted on impactauto.ca and items may continue to be added up until the first sale. This process will continue weekly with new items for the next week's auction beginning to be added on Thursdays.
- For items located at the Physical Damage Centre (PDC) (1981 Plessis Road) in Winnipeg, you will be able to view these vehicles in person on Mondays and Tuesdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
For items located at rural storage facilities, you will be able to view these vehicles in person, according to the location's hours of operation.
- A pre-bidding option will be available as soon as an item is added to the auction.
- Starting Oct.7, our auctions will begin at 9 a.m. CST each Wednesday morning at impactauto.ca. The end time will depend on how many units are in each auction. Each vehicle will average a minute of auction time.
- There are two ways you will able to pay for winning bids:
You can pay in full online using INTERAC Online. Please note: Credit cards are not accepted. Partial payments are also not accepted through INTERAC Online.
You can pay in person at MPI's PDC. Payments can be made by cash, certified cheque, debit card, VISA, VISA debit, MasterCard or MasterCard debit.
Public buyers must provide payment for any winning bids by 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday. Dealers must provide payment for any winning bids by 4:30 p.m. on Friday.
You can begin the registration process with Impact here.
Learn more about the changes to salvage auctions at MPI here.